Getting a puppy? Make sure to check out the puppy care and training page, too.
How to Adopt a Dog: The Video Series
- Episode 1: How to Mentally Prepare for a New Dog
- Episode 2: Figuring Out What You Want
- Episode 3: How to Pick a Dog from a Shelter
And check out our free online course: Dog Speak 101
Being able to read canine body language is an important skill for anyone who owns a dog. This twelve-video course from the 3 Lost Dogs Academy will give you a basic, yet detailed, introduction to the wonderful world of canine body language and communication. Did I mention it’s free? Click here to sign up.
And here’s everything else we’ve got:
Before you get a dog
How to Adopt the Perfect Shelter Dog – An animal shelter is a great place to find a new pet. But walking into a shelter full of “lost dogs” isn’t easy – you’ll want to take them all home! This 21-page guide will walk you through the decision-making process that will help ensure you go home with the best pet possible. Get it for free when you join the 3 Lost Dogs email list.
Preparing for dog ownership
- Whatever Tomorrow Brings: Important Things to Know Before You Adopt a Dog
- 5 More Things You Should Know Before You Adopt a Dog
Choosing and adopting your new dog
Caring for your new dog
- A Beginner’s Guide to Adopted Dog Ownership
- 14 Ways to Get Your New Dog to Trust, Love, and Respect You
- Is Your New Dog Making You Miserable? You’re Not Alone
- Ask 3LD: My “Old” Dog is Jealous of My New Dog
- What to Do When Your New Dog is Afraid of You
Good habits from the beginning
One of the most important parts of training a new dog is preventing bad habits from forming. These two articles can help with that:
House training your dog
If there is one thing that strikes fear into the hearts of almost all new dog owners, it’s potty training. But it doesn’t have to be difficult.
Dog Crates: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly – Crate training is by far the easiest way to house train a dog. Just be careful – dog crates are easy to misuse.
House Training 101: the Basics – The strategy for potty training success.
Check out our house training online course. For just $10, we’ll show you the step-by-step plan that works for dogs of all ages (even the ones who’ve had lots of accidents!)